Thursday, February 24, 2011

Garlic Mashed Potatoes ~

Good morning to you all! I've just re-worked my last blog on Mashed Potatoes because when I looked at the recipes in the magazine for potatoes cooked in other ways, I didn't think I'd ever make them, so I didn't want to pass them on to you. Rather...I looked up a potato recipe in Barefoot in Paris by Ina Garten and came up with this recipe that I think you'll love. Yes, it's a very simple recipe, but those are always my favorites and are recipes that I'll actually use. Somehow I never get around to making many of those complicated dishes, especially since I live alone. I'm thinking of writing a cookbook for myself that would only have the quickest possible meals, but be absolutely delicious. Think that's possible? First, I'll give you Ina's take on her experience in Paris. Then the recipe.

Ina says: "Many of my favorite restaurants in Paris serve the vegetables family style with the main course, and mashed potatoes are always on the menu. They're usually made with lots of cream and butter, which, of course, is perfectly delicious, but sometimes they are made with olive oil, which is lighter and so much better for you. Be sure your oil is light and fruity." Okay, Ina, we're with you on this one.
                                                                 
Now I added this tip from Ina Garten to yesterday's blog, but in case you didn't see it, here it is: A great idea for keeping mashed potatoes warm: put them in a bowl set over simmering water and they'll stay warm for at least half an hour....just note that the longer the vegetable sits over hot water, the more liquid you'll need to add. Carolyn, one of my sisters-in-law, used to put a dollop of butter on top of a bowl of mashed potatoes and put them in a slow oven to keep them warm. It worked beautifully.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Serves 6

1/2 cup garlic cloves, peeled (about 1 head)
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream, half and half, or creme fraiche (this is like sour cream, but not so sour)

In a small saucepan, bring the garlic and oil to a boil, then turn the heat to low and cook uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the garlic is lightly browned. Turn off the heat and set aside. The garlic will contine to cook in the oil.

Meanwhile, place the potatoes in a large pot of salted water, bring to a boil, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until the potatoes are very tender. With a slotted spoon, remove the potatoes from the water, reserving the cooking water, and remove the garlic from the oil, reserving the oil.

Process the potatoes and garlic through a food mill fitted with the medium disc. Add the reserved olive oil, 2 teaspoons of salt, the pepper, cream, and 3/4 cup of the cooking water to the potatoes and mix with a wooden spoon. Add more cooking water, if necessary, until the potatoes are creamy but still firm. Season to taste and serve hot.

To my friend Sherrie in Pennsylvania, I want to say that this is a recipe that sounds good to go with those mini-meatloaves! Of course, if you had that meal last night, it's too late to plan for this dish until another time. Good food and good friends are two of the best things in life! So enjoy your potatoes!

Blessings...Mimi






No comments:

Post a Comment