Friday, August 27, 2010

Happy Birthday to Kelly with a Psalm & a Recipe

Today my oldest granddaughter is 32 years old! So HAPPY BIRTHDAY to KELLY!!! The last time she visited me, we had a nice, soft rain one evening that came down for a long time. We sat outside the French doors of my bedroom and Kelly read Psalms out loud for 30 minutes or so to me and Donna. So it was about a year ago when Donna was here at the same time as Kelly. And a good time was had by all!

The beautiful 23rd Psalm has been a favorite of so many people for generations of time. Not only is it beautiful lyrically, but the meaning has lifted many of us in difficult times. So I'm going to repeat it here for Kelly's sake and for all of us who might need inspiration toward a brighter day.




23rd PSALM

The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green
pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of
righteousness
For His name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort
me.
You prepare a table before me in the
presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall
follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the
Lord

Forever.



What more can a shepherd do for his sheep? He gives them everything they need, just as God gives us our every need. He provides for us. And He comforts us with His protection and direction. We are anointed daily with blessings. And we are given hope with the promise of dwelling in His house and having fellowship with Him forever! I wish all of these spiritual blessings for Kelly and for all of you.

Now I want to give you a recipe for Olio Nuovo and Lemon Cookies. The recipe is from the McEvoy Ranch Cookbook. The Olio Nuovo is one of their limited edition olive oils, but you can use the olive oil of your choice. They also grow lemons and this is a recipe using fresh lemons. They may also be flavored with orange. Simply substitute navel orange zest, orange oil, and orange juice where appropriate. These cookies are reminiscent of Mexican wedding cookies or Russian tea cakes. If you don't want to bake all the cookies at one time, freeze the balls of dough on a cookie sheet and transfer to a plastic bag. They'll keep for about 3 months. The frozen cookies will go straight into the oven, but may need a few more minutes of cooking time.

Olio Nuovo and Lemon Cookies

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup olio nuovo (or your favorite olive oil)
1/8 teaspoon pure lemon oil (Boyajian brand recommended)
4 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

1) Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 large baking
sheets with baking parchment or silicone baking sheets.
2) Sift together the flour, sugar, and baking soda into a
medium-sized bowl. In a small bowl, stir together the
olive oil, lemon oil, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add
the wet ingredients, then stir until the mixture comes
together into a uniform mass. Using your hands, roll
the dough into balls 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter, and
place them on the prepared baking sheets, spacing them
2 inches apart.
3) Bake the cookies 1 sheet at a time until cooked through
and very lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer to
a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in an airtight
container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

I hope you'll try this lovely recipe and enjoy some taste you've probably never had before in a cookie. Let me know how you like them. And one more time:
Happy Birthday to Kelly! I love you very much!

Blessings...Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment