1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup fine cane sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup boiling water
1 large egg, room temperature
1 large egg yolk, room temperature
1 recipe Streusel Topping (recipe follows)
Garnish with confectioner's sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and line 18 muffin cups with liners.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, ginger, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and cloves.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together molasses, cane sugar, oil, water, egg, and egg yolk. Add molasses mixture to flour mixture, and whisk until well combined. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups.
- Crumble the Streusel Topping evenly over batter in each muffin cup. Bake 18 to 24 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in the centers of muffins comes out clean. Remove muffins from oven, and cool.
- Sprinkle muffins lightly with confectioner's sugar, if desired.