Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Walking Stick ~ 2

Good Sunday morning! Time is moving quickly and not only am I behind, but I'm not at all  sure what I need to do next. I know that December is the time to revise my novel--add or subtract, correct and elaborate on it. But I haven't looked at it since it was completed. Instead I've been reading a little novel by Martha Finley titled Mildred Keith. It has so much lovely dialogue in it that is expressive and charming. It's only about 9,000 words long, so it's easily  read in a short amount of time. There are seven books in this particular series, and I look forward to reading more books about Milly.
 

Now to complete the lesson on the walking stick which I began yesterday. Sometimes we need signs which remind us of good things. That is why almost everything in our culture has one. In this case, a walking stick reminds us that God is our protector and our friend. I hope some of you have done some walking with a stick. I've used a cane when I sprained my ankle or had sciatica very badly, but now I'm wishing for a chance to hike on some hills, just so I can take the opportunity to feel this lesson through and through as LaGard does. 

We are assured that God's love is one that not only cares, but protects. Remember what Paul said about being in Christ? He said that "we are more than conquerers through Him who loved us." And he went on to say, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

No soppy sentimentalism here! Rather than mere friendship, you and I receive a love from God that is powerful, strong, and gives protection! Just like David and Paul, you and I can say, "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

And how do you feel when you realize that God is your friend? I want to quote LaGard directly here:
"What a joy it is to know that my protector is also my friend. It didn't have to be that way. The idolater, for example may have his imagined "protector," but he can have no pretense of a friend. The superstitious person believes in magical powers, but magic holds no hands. That's the amazing thing about the incarnation of Jesus--not just God in heaven, imbued with power and majesty, but God in flesh, seeking fellowship and friendship. Our friendship!"

Jesus says to us, "I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." So we are FRIENDS with God! FRIENDS with our Creator! It is truly an amazing and wondrous thought!

 So LaGard suggests getting yourself a walking stick as a graphic reminder of God's power and love. Sounds like a good suggestion to me, as we all need reminders of who we are and where we're headed!

Have a glorious Sunday!
Blessings...Mimi




No comments:

Post a Comment