Monday, September 13, 2010

A Cream Biscuit Recipe for Monday!

I can't believe it either! It's Monday again! I seem to give out recipes on Monday. After the long blog on Sunday, I suppose a shorter one is in order. One of the recipes I've used for many years--a treat in every way--is Cream Biscuits. I pulled out James Beard's American Cookery and wondered how many of you know of him. This cookbook came out in 1972, and I bought it in 1975. I was fascinated by the layout...like a column in a magazine, telling the cook all about the recipe--where it came from and how to go about making it.
~
But I can't say that I've used very many of the recipes from the cookbook. I have chosen a few favorites and moved on. This recipe seemed to be a quick and delicious change from regular biscuits and saved just a little time--enough that I think of it when I'm in a hurry. The basic recipe is for Baking Powder Biscuits and is on page 793, but there is a little twist that takes it up a level in taste and quality.

Cream Biscuits

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (I use King Arthur Flour)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4-1 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)

Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt (and sugar if used) into a bowl. Add the milk and cream and stir quickly until the dough clings together. Turn out on a floured board, knead a few times, and pat or roll out 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rounds with a floured cutter 1 to 2 inches in diameter. Place on a buttered cookie sheet, or, if you like biscuits crisp on top and bottom and soft in the center, place in a buttered 9X9 inch pan. Bake at 450 degrees 12 to 15 minutes, or until light and brown.
Note: For richer biscuits, turn each one in a bowl or pan of melted butter before placing on the baking sheet. To make Baking Powder Biscuits, substitute 1/4 cup shortening for the cream and cut it quite finely into the flour mixture.

If you woke up on the wrong side of the bed, this recipe should cheer you up and make life brighter. So have a good Monday!

Blessings...Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment