Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Fancy Department Store Muffins

I know it's already Tuesday, but I had to give you "the rest of the story" yesterday. And also yesterday, I spent the whole day writing the beginning of a novel for a contest on NaNoWriMo. I wrote 3,318 words on my novel. But that told me a lot about what is ahead if I continue. With company coming, I probably can't be spending my days writing. I have the month of November to get the novel written, but with company coming on the 11th, it sounds impossible to me at this point. Today, I want to give you a recipe for these muffins for special company. When I lived in Nashville, we used to go to the Davis-Kidd Bookstore that had a small restaurant on the mezzanine, and they served these delicious oversized muffins. My favorites were the the cranberry with nuts and the poppyseed. With holidays coming up, I thought you might like to have a very special recipe. This recipe is from my King Arthur Flour Cookbook.

Fancy Department Store Muffins
Makes 12 large muffins

2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter or margarine
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh blueberries, chopped apple or peach, etc. (optional)
1 cup chopped nuts: almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc. (optional)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar for top

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt.

In a separate bowl, cream the butter or margarine with the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat well. Blend this mixture with the dry ingredients alternately with the milk. Fold the blueberries and nuts (etc.) in quickly.

Because these muffins will rise up and over the edge of your muffin tin, you'll want to grease the top of the pan as well as the cups. Fill the cups nearly three-quarters full and sprinkle with the spiced sugar.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Muffins are so easy to prepare without much notice and make a delicious treat for your guests. Next time you go to the store, pick up the ingredients, so that you'll be prepared to serve your company something special. Have a great week!

Blessings...Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment