Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Magic in the Making ~ The King Arthur Flour Company

One of those funny little magic moments happened to me on Friday when I went to Barnes & Noble to pick up a book and a magazine for Quinlyn. At the magazine section, I looked at the other magazines to see if I thought one might put me in the holiday mood with Thanksgiving and Christmas rushing toward us. One of the magazines I used to  enjoy reading--but haven't read in several years--is Victoria Magazine. The front of the November/December issue has a beautiful Christmas tree lit with a thousand lights. I sat down and flipped through its pages. I was satisfied that there were some nice articles that I wanted to read.

But I didn't see the article that this blog is about until I got home.  When I began looking through my Victoria Magazine in earnest, I came to an article titled "Magic in the Making." It's an article with pictures about the King Arthur Flour Company! You probably won't remember that I've mentioned using their recipes often and think they're the best. And in my Thursday blog, I even said that I wasn't being paid for using them so often. My affection for this company is fairly clear. So today, I'm simply going to tell you what the article in Victoria Magazine (November/December issue) says about this Vermont company.

This company is 220 years old! I knew that since the cookbook I have is the 200th Anniversary edition. Quinlyn's birthday cake recipe came out of it. And if you aren't familiar with them, the Baker's Store & Cafe on the left is the place where they sell their flours, baking wares, and all the ingredients that help the home cook make baked goods turn out perfectly. They also have a beautiful and easy-to-use website. I get their catalog every month, and I'm always tempted to buy something.

Also, there is a recipe and step-by-step instructions  in this magazine for making  baguettes. I've made baguettes a few times before, but this is a new technique to me that I'm going to try. You first make a "poolish" and let it sit overnight. And then create an oven of steam to give that crackling exterior to the baguettes that we all love eating. So if you think you might enjoy a baguette with your spaghetti for dinner, this sounds like a recipe for success. 

Another of the wonderful things that King Arthur does are their educational classes. You can learn to be an expert baker in four days, which is what the writer of this article had done. Brittany Williams says of her experience, "Tucked in the woodlands of Vermont, the renowned King Arthur Flour company provides a wonderland for bakers and epicureans alike with a series of hands-on bread-making classes taught at the on-site Baking Education Center." She describes the classes in detail with pictures. 

I want to share this with you this morning, and I want you to know that Quinlyn's birthday was a lot of fun. I'm going to let her share her experience with her friends, but I may add one of the pics at another time.  

Have a great Tuesday! Do some baking!!!
Blessings...Mimi

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this with your readers, Mimi! And for being such a loyal King Arthur Flour fan. We're so pleased to be part of your baking experience! Hope you can come visit us in Vermont sometime yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison...You're so welcome! I would love to visit your place in Vermont and take some classes as well. The article was well done and I was so pleased that I found it.
    I'm so glad that King Arthur Flour is available in so many stores now. When I first started using it, it was hard to come by. And it's actually comforting to know that we still have great American companies like yours.
    Thanks for commenting...means a lot to me.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete