Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What Do You Think?

Mireille Guiliano

Time is flying by and Thanksgiving Day is fast approaching. I'm sure the fact that I have company and am writing a novel makes my time seem more precious, but the good thing is that I have more help now. My word count is up to around 33,000 words...I'm not sure because I wrote about 1,000 words late last night on paper and haven't put them in the computer yet. This morning, I seem to be thinking about the way American women eat during the holidays--and I have no doubt that it's because food is my weakness--and because I picked up this book lying on my desk by Mireille Guiliano, which--as you'll remember--is French Women Don't Get Fat. What she's saying is: French women enjoy their food more by having a different attitude.

So here are just a few things that Mireille has to say about the difference in the way French and American women look at eating.

1) French women typically think about good things to eat. American women typically worry about bad things to eat.
2) French women eat smaller portions of more things. American women eat larger portions of fewer things.
3) French women eat more vegetables.
4) French women eat a lot more fruit.
5) French women love bread and would never consider a life without carbs.
6) French women don't eat "fat-free," "sugar-free," or anything artificially stripped of natural flavor. They go for the real thing in moderation.
7) French women love chocolate, especially the dark, slightly bitter, silky stuff with its nutty aroma.
8) French women eat with all five senses, allowing less to seem like more.
9) French women balance their food, drink, and movement on a week-by-week basis.
10) French women do stray, but they always come back, believing there are only detours and no dead ends.
And from what I've read and seen, French women still eat very much as they always have, while American women have been seduced by advertisements and makeovers and Jenny Craig. So here are ten thoughts to carry into the Thanksgiving Day holiday and beyond. More tomorrow. The main thing is to enjoy what you eat, as well as enjoying your family and friends who are with you. And to be ever more thankful that God has blessed you beyond your imagination.

Blessings...Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment